Monday 25 May 2009

Museum Plate

Apparantly, there are some museums that take some art, mash it together, and out it on a decorative plate. We had to do that. We took two pieces of art from the same artist, put them together, used a graphic design element, and painted it on plates. The artist I chose is well known on a website called DeviantArt, but I don't think she's otherwise well-known. Her name is Wenqing Yan, aka Yuumei on DeviantArt. Her page is here: http://yuumei.deviantart.com/ The pictures I used are called Autumn Spell (http://yuumei.deviantart.com/art/Autumn)and Winter Rose(http://yuumei.deviantart.com/art/Winter-Rose-109811804).

Physical response:
· Include a quick sketch/photo of your work.
· Explain the process of creating the art work. Literally how you did your art work.
I drew a REALLY sketchy drawing of how I would combine them. Then I drew it, with more details and stuff. Then I used special paper to transfer the drawing onto a white plate. I went over the pencil with markers, painted some of it, and colored some of it black with a marker. Then I copied Yuumei's signature with a marker. My design element was distortion of color, which is why it's mostly black-and-white.
· Did you learn a skill?
Layering shades of color

Emotional Response:
· How did you feel while you were working on this assignment?
I thought I'd never finish, because the pictures were so detailed, even with some details taken out.
· Did you feel you were a problem solver at any level?
I fixed a lot of shading problems with paint, especialy when it turned out darker than it looked...
· Did you feel that it increased your observation?
The easiest way for me to draw the roses was to look at the original and draw without looking at my hand; just staring at the original. So, yes. Much observation.
· Did you further develop your ideas?
Yea. I was originally going to have two stripes in black and white, but I was lazy and pushed for time, so I changed it to my design that I have now.
· Were you satisfied with the final results?
Very.

Self Assessment and reflection:
· What did you learn doing this assignment?
When painting roses, be very careful and use a small-tip paintbrush. Also, markers don't like to work on smooth, curved surfaces.
· Are you able to make connections/analogy with other subjects or real life situations? The big picture connections.
Not really, as I've never seem one of these 'Museum Plates' myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment